Andy Hill

lid (cthorne111) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone in a cold climate (Canada or likewise) has
used the tankless heaters. I was thinking of getting two to replace
an old hot water heater but want to be sure this will get the water
hot enough. The cold water temp from the tap here is 42F.

I'm in one of the banana belts of Idaho. Input temp is in the low 50s, and we
do OK with our Takagi TK-2. Another 10 degrees down would be a problem with
our usage...I'd probably have to not run the dishwasher or washing machine while
taking showers.

Check the output curves for the unit(s) you have in mind -- you'll probably run
into a bit of output restriction with 42F input water. Gut feel, no problem
with two gas units, probably OK with two electric units; iffy with a single gas
unit; no can do with a single electric. Really depends on how many hot water
users you want to supply at the same time.