John Willis

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:10:35 -0500, Goedjn
scribbled this interesting note:

I should think that it would actually be easier to take the
skip-sheathing and shingles off all at the same time.
Just cut all the way down the roof between rafters, and shove the
whole assembly off. That's my plan for my roof, anyway.

This may sound easy, but it isn't. After thousands of residential
roofing jobs, we've found it is easier by far to remove one roof at a
time and put the debris into the dump truck as we go. Less mess, less
fuss, no large, unwieldy assemblies to try to manhandle on an already
unstable work surface.

In any case, unless you have some
reason to want the planking left in place, why not let
the contracter decide what he wants to do? It's not like
he's going to deliberately make things harder.

The lathes the original shingles are attached to determine the height
of your facia board. If you remove them, you will find you either need
to go with a thicker decking to make up that space, or remove and
reinstall or otherwise alter the facia board to make things at the
eave work out correctly. It is all in the geometry of the original
installation.

One advantage of having the lathes on the roof, at least when we
remove a wood shingle roof and install decking, is we align the lates
so that the plywood decking falls on one of these horizontal lathes
every four feet up the roof. This insures a good, strong deck and
removes the necessity of altering the existing facia.

If your home has no existing facia then all the above is immaterial,
except the part about aligning the lathes and having the plywood
decking fall on one of them as opposed to landing in free space.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)