Goedjn

shingles. My plan is to have the contractor strip down to the planks
(which will make a huge mess in the attic unfortunately) and cover them
with 3/8 or 1/2 CDX. The only real problem I see is the planks on the
overhangs (about 18") of the gable ends droop noticeably so I'm
concerned with how the CDX should be attached on the edges. I fear
staples or nails would eventually pull away so I was considering
requiring them to screw the end pieces.

What do you think? The best way would be to just replace all those
boards, but that will involve more work, and we need to keep this
inexpensive.

I should think that it would actually be easier to take the
skip-sheathing and shingles off all at the same time.
Just cut all the way down the roof between rafters, and shove the
whole assembly off. That's my plan for my roof, anyway.

In any case, unless you have some
reason to want the planking left in place, why not let
the contracter decide what he wants to do? It's not like
he's going to deliberately make things harder.

--Goedjn