Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
The current roof is soft slate, approx 100 years old, and is not
salvageable. The re-roofed sections are 3-tab shingles.

The area in question is approx 8 sq. with a 9/12 pitch.

In terms of accessability it's 3 stories up at the front of the house
and 4 at the back.

We got one estimate from a local company for $13,500.00 which I think
is way out of line.

FWIW we've had some trouble even getting companies TO bid on this since
they don't want to deal with the slate and the pitch of the roof.

If the 8 square was on a ranch house, it would be $4500. Tear off of slate,
removal, dump fees, equipment setup, accessibility, steep pitch, I'd look
for another house. The quote you have may not be all that much out of line
for the work to be done. Old houses can be a real nightmare once you start
tearing into them and you know decking has to be replaced. I can understand
why some roofers would decline the job.