Mathew J. Newton

dmc wrote:
Slightly off topic I know but there are several people on here who

have
given advice on battery technologies in the past...

I'm looking for a new battery charger for my digital cameras. I need

to be
able to charge 4 AAs - quickly if possible

I was in Maplin the other day and noticed Varta's new range of 'Charge
& Go' batteries/chargers. They utilise 'in-cell charge control
technology (IC3)' and a 7500mA charging current to charge 2000mAh AA's
in 15 minutes without risk of overcharging/damage (so they claim, and
up to a 1000 times). A 'resistor strip' on the base of the battery is
used to indicate to the charger that it can use this high(er) current
thus it can also charge 'standard' cells too, at a lower rate.

I couldn't find them on the website (Maplin) however, as a guide, a
charger and 4 cells were selling for =A339.99 (item code N57BN).
Replacement cells were =A313.99 for four 2000mAh AA's or 800mAh AAA's.
Uniross appear to be using comparable technology in their 'Sprint'
range at similar pricing.

Incidentally, whilst I saw some dual voltage (110/240v) chargers I
didn't see any 12v versions - at 7.5A it may be pushing some
'cigarette-lighter' supplies.

Mathew