Attach bullseye here

"Vlad" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:45:16 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

James Sweet wrote:

"Elle" wrote in message
nk.net...

Is there an authoritative site on the web that discusses which

computers
have this hard drive memory threshhold problem?

Some specs:
Make: Gateway Essential 900C
CPU: Intel 900 Mhz Celeron
Original hard drive: 20 Gigabyte 5M Ultra ATA

I have never gone over 10 Gigabytes of memory. I suppose because I

don't

do

any serious graphics work or play video games. I use the computer

mostly

for

word processing, spreadsheets, the internet, and faxing.

This morning after making some calls and checking the internet a bit, I
settled on a Seagate 80 Gigabyte Ultra ATA/100, 8 Mb cache, 7200 RPM

drive,

for $90 at Best Buy.

Coulda had a similar Western Digital for about $70, but Seagate seems

get

better reviews. Also, this Seagate hard drive has a 5-year warranty

(whose
details I have not read yet).

I can return it easily, should problems like the one you mentioned

become
insurmountable.

I won't get to installing it until tomorrow, at the earliest.

There's no official database on it, but you have an OEM box so a

call/email
to Gateway or look on their site for a BIOS update. Personally if in

doubt I
would just check to see if there's a PCI slot free then pick up a new
interface card as they're not expensive. Get the largest drive you can

for
the $, you can always transfer it to a newer faster machine later.

Also if you keep an eye out for killer deals it's not a bad idea to get

two
drives and use one to backup the other.

Probably the best idea, and keep transferring the dat to new drives as
you go.

For the original poster:

Don't make the mistake of thinking that archiving to CD's is any kind
of archiving! If a person does a lot of research (to be sure to buy the
correct ones and to learn the proper handling), never marks on the CD's
ever,(store them in a jewel case and mark on that - go figure on what to
do if they get mixed up) stores them under ideal conditions, handles
them only with gloves, and prays daily to the CD gods, they just *might*
last 10 years.

I've had a number of Archive CD's fail after a year. I now to backups
to two separate Hard drives. One on the computer, and the other to a
firewire drive.

- Mike -

Creating an image (ghost) of your system drive is the way I have
resigned to do and as an external drive it can be used to back up
several computers.
Vlad

Until recently, I've gotten away with using a Conner Peripherals hard drive
of ~820 MB and even a 127MB drive from a PC/AT and the current stable is 2/3
1998 and before and includes ISA cards in some cases. I believe the high
RPMs and increased stress brought along by improved storage technologies
bring on an earlier demise. Few of my devices or cards are newer than 1999
or 2000. I've never had a CD data backup fail. and I believe such problems
are analogous to the CD rot troubles of the commercial audio industry. I am
certainly not so cavalier as to leave them out and about like some audio CD
consumers. I HAVE had CD failure and haven't gotten around to investigating
it with the mfg. That disc took about 8 years to fail also. Proper
maintenance is always a good thing but proper selection of suitable
equipment seems more so.