Ed Huntress

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
news:roC1e.3205$n03.2087 @fe11.lga:

I've also ground some into both straight and
right-angle screwdrivers. Grind slowly, keep the temper, and you'll
have some great little screwdrivers.

Great minds. The other thing I've done is cut off the "L" and grind
the flats of the hex on a taper so that the small end is close to the
next

size
down. When you have a stripped out hex head hammer it in and use a
wrench to turn it.

Our minds are running in the same tracks. I have a couple of those,
too. g

I think I inhereted 100 or 200 of the things from my uncle. You have
to figure out *something* to do with all of that good tool steel, eh?

Yup. Once you make up a set of "shorties", some nice little scew drivers,
and some extractors, then what? I used to use them to broach a hex in

brass
sub spindle ejector tips when tooling up a Swiss. I would use a bench vise
as a press. They also make a handy spacer. Other than that, I have a

drawer
full of unmolested ones waiting to be put to some use.

Take up engraving. They'great. If you use the German style, hammer-tapping
them, you can avoid having to crank the shanks by setting them in a metal
handle, close to one side rather than in the center.

I have to admit I'm not much of an engraver, but they gave me a chance to
try it out.

--
Ed Huntress