J. Clarke

Derrick wrote:

You may have a point, although these types of cabinets are lined with fire
retardant materials. I do have a question. If wood is an acceptable
enclosure for electric devices, then why is it a must to use a box (metal,
bakelite, etc) for an electrical outlet or switch in a wall. Its not
acceptable to create a wooden outlet box for a wall.

The circuit in a wall is governed by a building code that allows certain
specified rated devices to be used. Building codes do not apply to devices
that are not "permanently" installed.

I have seen no "fire retardant materials" on the inside of any wooden-cased
electronic devices. It is commonplace to use wooden cases for speakers for
example, and any "fire retardant materials" would likely negate the
acoustic effect for which the wood is used in the first place.

I'm saying what is or isn't acceptable, just giving him something to think
about before getting into trouble. Didn't intent to imply that wood can't
be used at all. He can make wonderfully looking fascias surrounding the
equipment in wood.

Or the whole case. In case you haven't checked, most common plastics are
not particularly fire resistant and produce some really _obnoxious_ vapors.
Given a choice between styrene, which burns merrily, or ipe, which burns
about as well as concrete, I'd prefer to take my chances with ipe.

Don't assume that all wood is easily flammable.

I also agree with your suggestions of learning through the various ww
shows, books, magazines and asking questions.

Derrick.

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:53:04 -0500, "Derrick"
wrote:

Your using wood as an enclosure to electronic devices?

Seen any of the commercially available guitar and bass amps, or high
end stereo gear?

Barry

--
--John