Matt Cowell

Default PC Power Supply Failure

Alright - I am not sure if this would be the correct newsgroup - if not,
please point me in the right direction - thanks!

I have had a catastrophic power supply failure in my PC and I would like
to know if this type of scenario is uncommon and what exactly might of
happened to cause this.

I was moving my server from one location to another - it had been
running for about 2 months straight without any problems. I plugged it
in and hit the power button. There was a loud rattling noise from the
power supply for about 1 or 2 seconds, then I got smoke, a nasty smell,
and a dead PSU.

I have had power supply's die before - I just replace them. On this one
however, the whole PC was dead. Motherboard, hard drive, cdrom, floppy,
everything. Also, the monitor that it was connected to was dead - no
picture at all, but the power light did come on, and the keyboard was
also dead. Fortunatly I did not have a network connection, because I
fear I may of toasted all of the other PC's on the network.

Has anyone else ever seen this or heard of it - it just seems too wierd!

Thanks in advance,

~ Matt