Lew Hodgett

Phisherman wrote:

Deer can jump a fence up to 10 feet.

If the main purpose is to keep the deer out (we had this problem with
deer along with groundhogs), then make it easy on yourself.

snip

Used steel 5' T posts spaced 6 feet apart and
attached chicken wire to the posts. The bottom was stapled to the
ground using cedar logs. Then three insulators were attached to the
posts and the fence electrified with a solar-powered fence charger
with battery ($100).

Ah yes, the old fence charger trick.

There is nothing in this world that will grab your attention quicker
than a single strand of bailing wire, stretched about knee high on
insulators across a field that you just know is connected to a fence
charger sitting on a shelf some where.

You only need to touch it once to learn that lesson.

DAMHIKT.

Still remember the neighbor's young bull who had been put out in a
temporary pasture surrounded by an electrified fence who was being
bothered by the flies when they started biting on a hot summer afternoon.

Suddenly, 1100 pounds of romping stomping bull had had enough and took
off for the barn.

That electrified fence didn't even make him blink as he broke thru at
full speed.

After that, I had a hell of a lot of respect for that bull.

Lew