Arch

Dave, I'm probably an intermediate or average turner, but I sure agree
with Bill and Derek. I don't know when a sharp turning tool becomes less
sharp than it could be. So when the time comes that I want to be sure
that a tool is as sharp as I can make it (and that's often), I need to
resharpen it regardless of the steel.

M2 seems satisfactory for me. For that matter if not for the poor heat
resistance and that otherwise top of the line tools are not available in
high carbon steel these days, I'd probably be using them along with my
old Sheffield steel Sorbys.
Probably as important as the steel is what tools are in the set.

Welcome and good luck.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter