PaulJ

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:36:35 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

A photo would help but with a finished attic it is a real posibility
that there is no roof ventilation or air gap inbetween the roof deck and
insulation. My neighbor has a cathedral ceiling their roof that is in
direct sun was trash after 7 yrs a 35 yr roof. Soffit vents and ridge
vent may or may not help, air still may not circulate. Are any areas in
complete shade that are ok. Look into it before you buy . An air gap
before the attic insulation was instaled and proper venting would have
cured it, if it is a venting air circulation issue. You dont want to pay
for a new roof every 10 yrs.

I have a cathedral ceiling with inadequate (no) ventilation in hot
Houston on the south side of the house. Theres 10 inches of
insulation there but no room for air flow from sophit vent to ridge
vent due to the insulation completely filling the space.

That part of my roof had massive 20yr shingle failure after 15
years. No buckling of plywood but the shingles were toast ONLY on
that side of the roof.

Home depot has these lightweight 2 inch vent panels that lay on the
insulation and provide a air flow channel that I wish were up
there.....