Derek Andrews

Dave Walker wrote:
Hi all i'm just about to buy my first set of tools and wondered if anyone
could give there opinion on the ASP range of tools via the M2 range and is
the extra price worth it?.

In my opinion ASP is not the right way to go for beginners. Here is my
thinking on this:

1 - as a beginner it is going to take you a while to learn to sharpen
them correctly. You are going to waste quite a bit of steel doing this,
so I think it is better to waste the cheaper stuff.
2 - the more frequently you have to sharpen the faster you will learn.
3 - if you think that ASP will stay sharp until your buddy comes over
next week to sharpen them for you, you are wrong!
4 - unless you have bottomless pockets you can afford more of the M2
tools. I would rather have two M2 bowl gouges with different grinds than
one ASP.
5 - unless you are a prolific turner, some M2 tools may out live you, so
there is no real monetary saving.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com