Steven Raphael

I also have the 15" Craftsman Lathe and so far I have not had any problems
with it.

The one thing that I would stay away from is the bowl turning attatchment
for this lathe. I have one and I have found that there is exessive vibration
and chatter when using it.

Steven Raphael
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raphael/woodturnings1
"grB" wrote in message
I am REALLY sorry to ask this question, but....

I cannot find an archive of posts to search for my answer.

I would expect many to view the Craftsman lathes as less than great.

I however am planning at this point to use a lathe to make mid and high
power rocket nose cones and body transitions mainly.

Mostly out of balsa, basswood, and pine; pretty soft stuff.

Some tinkering around naturally, but not for money making purposes.

Would the Craftsman 12 inch Variable Speed Lathe or the 15 inch Bench Top,
Variable Speed Lathe be O.K. for what I need?

I would like to get by as inexpensively as possible.

Sure, I'd like to get a really nice lathe, but money is a strong factor.

I have posted a few fliers at fleet stores and grocery stores around a
couple of towns, but nothing yet.

I live in north central/east Iowa if anyone near has something sitting
around that they would like to part with.

Thanks a lot for your input and time,

Greg