Ed Huntress

"James" wrote in message
news:hyA1e.9888$TZ.4130@okepread06...
Hello,
I've been searching the web trying to find some info on Chrome Vanadium.
Does anyone on here know the characteristics of it?
How is it for stiffness? Corrosion resistance? Compared to say stainless
304?

Thanks for any info

James

You're probably looking for chrome-vanadium steel, used for making hand
tools and parts of power tools. If so, it's AISI grade 6150 you're looking
for. Or you may be looking for D2 tool steel. D2 usually isn't called
"chrome-vanadium" steel, but it is one, and it has 12.5% chromium, so it's
fairly corrosion resistant.

6150 falls between carbon steels and stainless steels for corrosion
resistance. As for stiffness, all steels have about the same stiffness,
regardless of their alloy or their hardness. They're all within a few
percentage points of each other.

Stainless is a minor exception. It's about 5 or 6% less stiff than other
steels, more or less.

By "stiffness" I assume you mean something like "springiness." In other
words, its resistance to deflection under a given load. The difference among
steels is how far you can bend them until they take a permanent bend. Up to
that point, within the "springy" range, where they spring back like they
were before you put the load on them, they're all about the same stiffness.

If you're talking about how much load you can put on them before they
*break*, or before they take on a permanent bend, that's a function of their
strength and their elongation, or ductility.

--
Ed Huntress