Fred

"Miketew" wrote in message

Another question is, why do I need to TT the supply in the garage? Can't
just use the house earth?
(My logic is, the earth provided by the electricity company is at least
500m
long (That's where the substation is!)

(Patio is currently being re laid, so if I need to do any rewiring, now
is
the time)

Sparks...
The simple answer to this question is that unless you are an approved
electrical contractor under part "P" you can't do this as sheds and
garages are classed as special risk areas. If you wish to do it yourself
you must be able to show competence and notify the local building
inspectorate before carrying out the work and they will appoint an
inspector / tester to verify the work before it is re -energised. This
will cost the same as getting an approved electrician to do the job or
even more than.

--
Miketew

On the other hand the cheapest, legal and therefore one has to assume the
most safest method, is to run an extension cable to the shed from a socket.
This is apparently called progress.