George Max

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:53:04 -0500, "Derrick"
wrote:

Your using wood as an enclosure to electronic devices? I find it hard to
believe that UL or CSA would approve of this. You might want to check out
alternative materials. If your talking about an outer cabinet to hold racks
of metal enclosures you might be ok. By using wood as a immediate
enclosure, if you sell to a consumer and there is a fire you could be sued
by not using approved materials or a certified product. The whole UL/CSA
approval process can be expensive and lengthy. Suggest you do some Goggle
searches on the subject.

Table saws though will cut lamininates and lexan which are more resistant to
fire. There may be other materials suitable. Just something to think of
before putting yourself at risk.

"Mr Green" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello;

Sorry for the apparantly dumb question, but, as a beginner in cabinet
making, where would I start? I have explored the local trade schools
and community colleges, but they only offer industrial carpentry
classes. I am primarily looking to build wooden enclosures for
electronic devices which I manufacture. The biggest cabinet would
probably be 24" x 12" x 15"

I guess there would be nothing the matter with learning on my own. Are
there any good books to be recommended to me? Also, if you were
instructing someone how to get into this, what prerequsite power tools
would you recommend in order of their importance?

Again, sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

TIA!

UL/CSA is interested in all of that, but primarily the circuit. There
are rules regarding the specs for any given category of device.
Unless one of you here is a UL or CSA investigator the only way to
know for certain is to ask them.

That said, plenty of electronic devices are housed in wood enclosures.
Just follow whatever rules UL has for that. Generally speaking CSA
will also likely use the same rules, but again, ask them, not us.

The NEC is a different animal than UL.