George

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Derek,
Check the posting Jan. 11, 05 that I did; Salad bowl finishes. I
believe it was George that said that bowls can be cleaned by using
table salt and paper to clean out the oil build up. (maybe it was
Arch). That is the way that you used to clean out the old cast iron
skillets. It emulsifys the fat/oil.
robo hippy

Wasn't me, but I do know that the butcher's block was regularly salted to
kill bacteria. Does an excellent job of it, so if bacterial contamination
were an issue, might be fine.

Comes with its own baggage, sadly. Calcium chloride, a common impurity,
draws moisture from the air, so if you had any surface oil, it'd seem
sticky.

I can remember using salt and baking soda as tooth powder when a kid. Given
the relative solubilities, I'd say the soda was the abrasive, however.