Walter R.

http://www.rationality.net/entropy.htm
--

Walter

"Walter R." wrote in message
The Second Law of Thermodynamics stipulates that the heat transfer between
masses is a function of their temperature differential. The higher the
temperature differential, the faster the heat loss. If two bodies have the
no temperature differential, when they have the same temperature, no
temperature loss can take place.

Therefore, if you turn the heat down at night, you lower the temperature
differential and thus, the heat loss.

This law of physics is also known as Entropy, probably the most basic of
all laws of nature.

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"RMUH" wrote in message
news:1111880056.c22668a6b81341286c35c35e8ea46f52@t eranews...
One of my customers asked me whether she should believe a furnace
installer who told her it is more efficient to leave the heat on all
night than to turn it off.

Clearly, the heat loss from the building is less if the temperature
inside is lower, as it would be when the heat is off.

However I have heard it stated so often and by people who ought(!) to
know, that I wonder if there is some reason not to turn the heat off.
Anybody really know exactly why this is or is not true?

Thanks

--
Reticulan Museum Of Unnatural History
http://ouchouch.com/fancy.html