Hax Planks

Mr Green says...

Hello;

Sorry for the apparantly dumb question, but, as a beginner in cabinet
making, where would I start? I have explored the local trade schools
and community colleges, but they only offer industrial carpentry
classes. I am primarily looking to build wooden enclosures for
electronic devices which I manufacture. The biggest cabinet would
probably be 24" x 12" x 15"

I guess there would be nothing the matter with learning on my own. Are
there any good books to be recommended to me? Also, if you were
instructing someone how to get into this, what prerequsite power tools
would you recommend in order of their importance?

Again, sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

TIA!

I don't think anyone needs classes for woodworking. They're nice, but
not necessary. Possibly the biggest advantage of classes is the
supervision and knowledge learned of safety. You can hurt yourself
real, real bad with just about any woodworking tool, even hand tools.
My worst gashes to date have come from chisels. You should watch New
Yankee Workshop, Router Workshop, and Woodwrights shop on PBS, and
Woodworks and DIY woodworking both on DIY network. DIY woodworking
focuses on beginner and intermediate projects using tools most of us
have.

Buy at least one book that covers all the basics and a book on
finishing. I also buy a book with each major tool purchase--a table saw
book, a router book etc. Use the advanced newsgroup search on Google.
Just about every woodworking question can be answered that way. I think
you need to start with a table saw. Plan on spending $500+ if you buy
new. A router comes in a close second. A router will do just about
anything with enough guides, fixtures and setup time. You will also
want to build a router table. Buy router bits as you need them. Sets
may seem like a good idea, but you don't know what you need until you
need it. You will need a preferably cordless hand drill, and a drill
press is nice too, but you can get away with a drill guide for most
things. A drill press is really nice for drum sander attachments. You
will need a good try square and at least one long straight edge. Get a
block plane and at least one larger size plane. Good planes are
expensive, cheap planes can be made to work if you spend time learning
how and put the work into it. Pick your poison, but in any case you
will need to learn how to tune them. If you buy surfaced lumber, then
you can get by without a planer or jointer for a while. If you will be
cutting any curves, then you need to think about a bandsaw. A hand held
jigsaw can do curves too, but not as well as a bandsaw. A bandsaw is
also best for resawing, but it is a big and fiddly machine. Buy the
Duginske book if you get a bandsaw. You may find you never have enough
clamps. It's an old woodworking joke, but not really funny because it
is true. Pipe clamps are the most economical long clamp, but they don't
have much reach. You will spend lots of money on clamps. You will need
a large backsaw, razor saw, flush cut saw (get a Japanese one), two or
three chisels, rasps, files, glues, nails, screws, finishes, solvents,
brushes and on and on. I have only a very basic budget shop and I
probably have about $4000 invested, maybe more. I really have lost
count. I have a wish list that totals at least another $3000 or so, and
probably $1000 of it is must have stuff.