SawDust (Pat)

In my neck of the woods. The smaller electronic ballasts are easier
and less expensive to replace when the time comes. The ones we use
at work, your just inserting the wire into a conector, versus having
to wire nut all the connections. They're idoit proof.

The only drawback - they last a long time - but when they go, they
just go. No prolonged humming to keep reminding you about changing
that ballast.

Personally, if your talking new lighting and you are, I would look at
low voltage halogen. It's a pure light, no color shifts like you get
with Fluorescent. It's bright without being an uncomfortable
brightness "Like you get with the fluorescent daylight tubes".

If you have a chance go into a lighting showroom and see the
differences between the two products. It's worth the time.

Pat

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:56:09 -0700, "Bill B"
wrote:

Quieter, more efficient.

And, most will work just fine when the garage is COLD, the magnetics flicker
and flash until they warm up.

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
I am going to install new flourescent lights in my shop. Do electronic
ballasts really have no hum like I read somewhere.

Any reason to choose electronic ballasts over magnetic besides noise?

Brian Elfert