Pete C.

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:59:57 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

If it was me I'd find a gas or diesel powered welder and use it. Don't
bother with a generator since most engine welders include one anyway.

--
Steve W.

A friend is trying to sell me a WW2 vintage Hobart gas welder. Its
supposed to run. DC only of course, so that screws up the MIG and tig
welding

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael

If the post above is correct and they are charging more per KWH above a
mysterious baseline then you need to investigate just how they are
calculating the baseline. If it is an average usage over a several month
period then just make sure you weld more to increase the baseline

It sounds like it's not exactly a peak metered thing like commercial,
but it's not a straight cost per KWH either. Even the "over 300% of
baseline" is only $0.215 /KWH so as long as they are only charging that
rate on the portion over the baseline and not the whole bill then the
cost for that extra gulp of welding power is pretty close to what it
will cost you to generate yourself.

I'll also note that running your own generator may sound like it's
cheaper when you divide the fuel cost by the generator capacity, however
unless you are actually using the full generator capacity the entire run
time the cost per KWH used is much higher. A typical small genset may
use say 1 gal/hr at full load, but still use .75 gal/hr at half load.

Pete C.