Bushy Pete

Normal sandblasting will leave a messed up aluminium surface full of tiny
dents that will catch food the next time they are used. I know from years
ago in the army when we cleaned a bunch of hotplates with the workshop
sandblaster. They went back looking clean, but I pitty the next poor buggers
that had to clean them.

They use crushed walnut shell blasting or similar for cleaning inside some
aircraft engines, these would run just as happily through a normal $20 air
sander and be easy to do at home if you wished.

Top of the range is using dry ice as the grit for blasting out ovens and
cookwear on site and there is no residue other than the old carbon that has
already been blown away. Totally food safe, and all you need is a
compressor, a sandblaster attachment and a container of dry ice crystals.

Hope this helps,
Peter

"Dan" wrote in message
I have a couple of pizza shops (Way OT!) but metalworking DOES come into
play!

We use aluminum pans for baking the pizzas in the oven and since we use
butter on the edges of the pan-pizza pans they start accumulating carbon
buildup after a year or so of use. Is there a way for my to remove this
carbon short of sandblasting? It must be a food safe and leave the pans
structurally intact, figure about 125-150 pans overall that I need to

clean,
then re-season.

Any ideas? Anyone in the Kirkland or Kent WA area with a sandblaster that
wants to trade sandblasting time for pizzas?

-Dan