Peter Fairbrother

Thanks everyone!

Bob wrote:

What are you going to use the torch for? Jewelers use oxy-fuel
(generally propane or natural gas) torches and I never met one who used
dark glasses except for melting and for platinum work. For brazing,
silver and gold soldering, etc. on small items, most feel it's not
needed.

Yes, it's a jeweller's torch, and will mostly be used for brazing small
parts, mostly an inch or two across, in copper, inconel and stainless. I
have some small propane torches I use for silver soldering, but they were
struggling a bit and I wanted something hotter for brazing.

I got it working on butane (don't laugh, I filled two party balloons, one
with butane lighter fuel and one with oxygen, to try it out) - works great.
I am seriously pleased. Working with a flame that's comfortably hot enough
is so much easier! It's lot quieter than the propane torches too, a calm
gentle hiss rather than a whiny roar.

Might try MAPP gas for a bit of welding too. Maybe some ordinary shades for
that? I have a nice dark wraparound plastic prescription pair somewhere, but
it hasn't been that sunny recently in the UK and they will take a bit of
finding ...

One other question you may be able to help with - could I use it for
cutting? It's a Minox torch and says "2" on the copper part of the nozzle.
Would a cutting nozzle be available? Obviously I'd need lenses for that.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Oh here we go slithering, here we go slithering and squelching on
Oh here we go slithering, here we go slithering and squelching on

May the long time sun shine upon you
All love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide you all the way on.