Derek

Default Building parallel to garden wall

Hi all,

I am planning to build a single story garage parallel and as close as
possible to a 7ft party garden wall. I would expect the garage to run to
50ft parallel to this wall and parallel to my house. The reason I want to
get as close as possible is that there is only 11ft between my house and
the wall.

To this end, I will need to dig a trench about 3ft deep x 3ft wide (we're
right onsub-soil) right next to this wall which also has about a 3ft deep
foundation (slightly less). I am of course worried about colapsing the
wall. I get on well with my neighbour and would like to keep it that way.

Some people I have spoken to have suggested: - Building the garage in two
stages and linking the foundations with steel bars - not my favourite as
two loads of concrete and two days hire of a digger required.
- digging pre-trenches, and pouring concrete deeper than my foundations
every 10ft along the stretch.

Any other advice or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Derek.