Andy Hall

Default Under-floor heating for a bathroom - hot water or electric, and how to control?

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:30:44 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Not sure how cold the floor will feel without any heat under it. My sister
has a slate kitchen floor onto screeded insulation, and right now this feels
refreshingly cool under bare feet. In an upstairs room it should be a whole
lot warmer. I can only suggest you get a couple of the slates out, let them
aclimatise and see how they feel.

Now that's what I call a sensible suggestion... right, I've got a couple
of flooring slates from the shed, have placed them on the bathroom
floor, and have asked SWMBO to try them out from time to time.

I'd concur with this. I have slate floor on insulated concrete base
over most of the ground floor of the house. Typically I wander round
in bare feet and it never feels cold. I think it tends to acquire
the temperature of the surroundings and my impression is that compared
with ceramics or marble it is a lower conductor of heat anyway - hence
not feeling cold underfoot.

Another useful factor is that even if you use calibrated slate (i.e.
machined both sides), it is still not slippery when wet.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl