Owen Davies

Among other things, Ecnerwal wrote:

A large number of woodturners at a New Hampshire symposium a few years
back were having a grand old cheap time with belt sanders mounted so the
belts ran up and AlZn belts.

That was Jon Siegel's influence. Take a look at his site,
http://www.bigtreetools.com/ , for a picture of the unit he makes. The
advantage is that it offers fixed positions for the tool handle, so that
hardly any metal is removed in each sharpening. Jon says it takes him 10
seconds to sharpen, say, a roughing gouge and get back to work, with so
little loss of metal that he gets something like 1000 sharpenings per
inch of tool. I've seen him do it. The time is certainly close enough to
right, and I believe the number of sharpenings as well. I'd be using a
similar device now, but shortly after that visit to his shop, I stopped
turning for a while and am only getting back to it now. ASAP.

Owen Davies