On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:59:00 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

"Teamcasa" writes:

As others have said, no unless plywood is added where the cabinets are to
hang.
Why would you want steel studs? Do you live in Hawaii where termites are a
significant problem?

Weight. Wood studs are much heavier than steel.

I'm converting a semi trailer to an RV. I plan to use 2x3 metal studs
to frame walls inside of the regular trailer walls. I can then add wiring
and insulation easily. the cabinets will hang on these walls.

Brian Elfert

consider using plywood instead of drywall for the sheet goods over the
studs. you'll save weight and add both strength and stiffness to the
structure. then you can get an attachment you can count on for the
cabinetry.

build the cabinets as light as you can. lauan ply is light for it's
strength, comes with a surface that is smooth enough for laminate but
will likely need some prep before paint.