Gunner

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:35:36 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

My gut feel for this is that it can't be economical. Have you done any
numbers, comparing your cost (fuel, maintenance) to the utility? Here's
a sanity check: if it really is cheaper to do your own, you should
get a bunch of gensets and sell their power back to the utility!!
Putting it that way, doesn't it seem unlikely that it's economical?

Bob

Thats the deal Bob..I dont know what the gallons per hour is for these
gensets, the maint costs or anything.

I figure run time simply welding would be on the order of about 10
hours a month, or even less. I live in an unincorporated rural area,
so noise and what not is not an issue.

In fact, there are a large number of local welders with the old
Lincoln SA-200 welders mounted in the back of their trucks. They
often sell for $1000-1500. Gasoline, DC only. But thats $1000 or more
that I cant afford, and they still wont work as backup power for the
house either.

Hence my questions on the two newsgroups comprised of people that are
most likely to know what I need to know.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael