Andy Hall wrote:

For example, a Safeway supermarket near to me was acquired by
Morrisons.

All Safeway supermarkets were acquired by Morrisons. They didn't
acquire it just because it was near you. I know that's not what you
meant but the fact that you phrase it in that way is typical of your
egocentric nature. Everything's got to be about you. Anyone else
would have said, " When Morrisons took over the local Safeway..."

Previously, although it was not brilliantly run and the
displays were lacklustre, they did have a profile of products that
people wanted to buy - low end own brands, high end own brands and
major brands. I buy very little prepackaged food, but they had a
broad variety of items from all around the world. We don't have a
large ethnic population, so thae market was clearly to people with a
shortage of time who wanted to try out different things. All of this
has been replaced. They have loaded the shelves with their own cheap
products, the high end ones are all but gone and they have
substantially reduced the ethnic food range and replaced it with

pies.
The result is that people are going elsewhere in droves. Somebody

who
works there told me that sales are down by over 30% and falling.
They made the mistake of assuming that the business model and product
profile that works in one part of the country will work in another.

It
doesn't.

On their home territory, Morrisons has a very extensive range of ethnic
foods - more extensive than the other three majors - and as for a
"broad variety of items from all around the world", you're more likely
to find esoteric brands and items in Morrisons than the others. So
they clearly haven't imported this policy as you claim. It's just
another example of you presenting your ill-informed opinion as fact.

They have loaded the shelves.... with pies.

My God!!! The working class vermin!!! We should drive them into the
sea!!!

And you say you're not a snob.....

Poor old John Rumm. After all the trouble he went to adding a
cheap/expensive power tool section to the FAQ following our little
ding-dong on the Erbauer thread, I thought you might have engaged in a
little self-analysis and stopped hectoring people with your pathetic,
irrelevant snobbery. I guess some people just can't change.