Prometheus

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:49:27 GMT, "Walt Cheever"
wrote:
I found that my classes were divided into those who would succeed no matter
what I did, those who wouldn't succeed not matter what I did, and those who
if I reached I might make a difference. The first were the most fun to work
with, the last were the toughest, because I had to keep thinking about how
to help them grab hold even tho they weren't sure they wanted to do what I
wanted them to do. I kept trying even with the ones that wouldn't succeed,
it's amazing the seeds that you can plant that may not take root for a few
years, and maybe not in your sight.

There's some truth to that, at least in my experience. I only took
two shop classes in my public school career (French and Spanish were
the electives I took), and thought they were a complete waste of time.
Something must have took hold back then, though- after I gave up
drinking, I kept remembering the walnut box I made back in middle
school, and started pursing woodworking (furniture, as opposed to the
framing and trim carpentry I had been doing) as a better use of my
time than getting falling-down drunk three or four times a week. The
hobby kept me sober then, and still does to this day. I tried to give
a little of that back by taking a voc. ed. course taught by that same
instructor, so that I could thank him- both for the class, and for
that little box back in the 8th grade. Looking back, I can probably
thank that guy not only for my woodworking hobby, but for my wife and
my home as well. Sometimes it's amazing how something so simple can
be so important later in life. You never know for sure who you're
helping- or how.

Nice work, John. It's a noble profession and we thank you.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam