Harry Everhart

Default Irrigation from Lake? Why not just sink a well.

I have been following your desire to irrigate your yard/garden from a
lake that is 100 feet away and 10 feet down. I may be missing something
- but it seems to me that since you are so close to a lake - you could
sink a shallow well and draw fresh clean water right out of the ground.
My house is on a small lake in Tallahassee - I own frontage on the lake
and it may be 10 feet lower at the lake than my house. My neighbor sunk
a well and hit plenty of water by digging down less than 5 feet. He uses
a simple sump pump motor and draws water up the pipe to irrigate his
plants. It seems like a lot of trouble to save a couple dollars a month
on his water bill - but if it makes him feel good to have his little
"save the planet" project - who am I to judge it. Another thing about
well water versus lakes water - is that well water is less polluted by
runoff.
Harry