John_ZIZinvalid

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:09:14 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

HAYNES MANUAL - THE REAL MEANINGS

I have often daydreamed about going to Haynes with some of their mistakes
and confronting them.

One of my personal favourites which must have cost people money was " with
the camshaft in this position the engine can be turned over" No, it can't,
the soon to be bent valves prevent it. In the same manual "the handbrake
cable is self adjusting" The shoes are, but due to a quirky design, the
cable isn't. etc. etc in every manual I have ever seen there are mistakes,
and always on the most used/important bits.

I used to have a Ford Escort mkIII with a 1300cc push rod (Overhead
valve) engine, and this engine wasn't in the manual at all, and it
also had a four speed gear box, which also wasn't featured.

In a later book, the 1100cc engine was featured, but this seemed
to copied directly from the fiesta handbook.

The problem seems to be changes in the production run of a car, and
Haynes manual's don't always pass on these updates or changes.