Harry Bloomfield

Magician presented the following explanation :
Simple facts are; that cheap Chinese power tool from Aldi was probably
once a top of the range brand manufacturers pride & joy. But due to
overheads you will find the same product at different prices.

It is now entirely possible to have power tools that are made cheaply
but not cheaply made. You may be buying old technology, but there is
no reason to suspect inferior quality in every case.

I buy some of this equipment for my less regular usage needs. I find
the quality of build and materials can be very variable. One item I
bought, an SDS drill, just keeps on going despite lots of heavy use. An
hot air gun lasted just a few minutes and its identical replacement
(under guarantee) lasted a similar amount of time. Both came from Aldi
and I suspect Aldi simply bought these types of things as a commidity,
with no checks at all on their durability in use. Keep the receipts and
return them if they suffer early failure.

Hand tools are similarly quite variable in quality.... Fine to cheaply
equip oneself so you can have several caches of tools around the house
for small jobs, to save your legs on the quick jobs.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)