George E. Cawthon

Is your saw one with a motor that hangs out the back on a pivot, like a
contractors saw? I had a friend that kept tightening the bolt that goes
through the curved slot in the motor mount and then he would raise the
blade, putting enormous stress on the belt and motor bearings and arbor
bearings. He ended up ruining the arbor pully and bearings until I told
him to just snug up the bolt just enough to keep the motor from jumping.

You might try taking the seal off one side of the bearing and putting in
a little more grease. But the real problem is that is a pretty small
bearing for a 10" table saw arbor. I think you are already using
sealed bearings, they probably have a black plastic 'washer' covering
the bearings. If they have a metal 'washer' cover, they are shielded,
and you should replace them with sealed. There are precision bearing
out there, but I don't know if in this size. Call a good bearing house,
forget Sears and thier $35.00 bearings, good American bearings shouldn't
be over $10-15 each.

John, in MN wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:16:56 GMT, Joe
wrote:

Does anyone know of a brand/supplier of a high quality 6202Z 15mm id,
1 3/8 od shielded bearing that can stand the loads of a typical table
saw? I don't mind spending the money if I never have to replace them
again but this 4-8 month life cycle is getting ridiculous.

..Joe L

You may want to check into sealed bearings. A couple bucks more but
should last longer in woodworking. Part # 6202LLB I believe.
--
John, in Minnesota

I think you are right, mostly likely cause it high
tension of the belt. Tighten up that little bolt
and it will snap off when you change saw height or
blade angle. It is suppose to slip and it's
purpose is to reduce vibration.

The saw I have was my dads and has had lots of
wood run through it. The motor was rebuilt about
1960. No bearing changes and is still smooth.

If it isn't belt tension, then the shaft is bent
or something doesn't allow the the bearing to be
in alignment. It is highly unlikely that bearing
quality has any bearing on the problem.