Unquestionably Confused

Brian Elfert wrote:
Richard Clements writes:

I think steel is stronger, isn't it? when I worked Demo for a summer, the
steel walls where a lot harder to tear down. just one steel stud will flex
and bend etc. be get two or more secured and there very secure, could be
wrong, just what I remebered

I can't imagine steel studs are stronger than wood unless you get into 20
gauge or heavier. Do they even make load bearing walls from steel studs
like they do with wood studs?

The fact that steel studs flex so bad is probably a sign that the studs
are not very strong.

I don't need strong walls for my RV. I just need walls that can hold
wiring and insulation along with holding up cabinets.

Your solution has already been posted, Brian. Take your choice:
Transition to wood studs where the cabinets will be hung or, and this I
think is the winner, use the 2"x6" notched to backup the steel studs.

As for the strength, the metal studs which I've seen installed used
construction adhesive AND screws to fasten the wallboard. Think torsion
box when that job's done. The weak point is sticking those screws
through that thin piece of metal and then subjecting it to the weight of
the cabinet trying to pull it out. If it was merely the shear force of
the cabinet trying to reach the floor you'd probably be okay but load
that cabinet up and have a door that swings wide, etc. and you introduce
other forces on that fastener which the steel stud may not hold all that
well.

Just out of curiosity, how big is this semi-trailer RV going to be?
contain? You just going to haul it some place (hunting area) and park it
or actually travel around pulling it with a tractor?

As others have said, it's an interesting project. Hopefully you'll post
some pictures as it progresses