Appliance Repair Aid

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
No, this is really not on the subject, apples and oranges. They

mention PVC
here, not the polyethylene of a bread bag. Part of my job for the

past 35
years is to do burn tests on some plastics. I have learned a little

about
it.

The ecological impact of tossing a perfectly good heating element and

wasting the resources to make a new one are far more detrimental than

just
burning of a fraction of a gram of PE.

Polyethylene has some hazards...
http://www.queenstribune.com/news/1092331943.html
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00922.htm

Part of my job for the past 35
years is to do burn tests on some plastics.

Part of my job for the last 25 years and present has been to help some
people with plastic, kettle bottoms, purses, coats, pots melted to an
element. I have learned a lot about this

The ecological impact of tossing a perfectly good heating element and

wasting the resources to make a new one are far more detrimental than

just
burning of a fraction of a gram of PE.

This comming from a group that seems to tell every other microwave
poster to "throw out there old one and buy a new one"!?!?

The manufacturing and disposal of one element vrs the manufacturing and
disposal of an microwave don't compare....apples and oranges maybe, but
people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/