Tim S

Default Celotex/Kingspan in a fire + fitting question

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:14:45 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Tim S writes:

a) What's celotex like to cut - use a knife or a saw?

I found a serrared breadknife was ideal.

That sounds easy :-)

b) In a fire, does it pose any risk of giving off noxious fumes?

I recognise the smell of cyanide componds (probably used to
foam it) when cutting it, so I would assume it gives off cyanide
when heated. Personally, I would not use it without a plasterboard
barrier between it and the house occupents. I tried lighting a
thin slither offcut and it burned. Others have said larger pieces
don't burn so well.

I am thinking of a thin plasterboard finish, even in the loft. My thinking
is, if it doesn't give out fumes until a fire is well established, that's
good enough, because I'll be toast by then anyway. For my daughter's and
wife's benefit, I'll probably put in a good interlinked fire alarm system
too, including smoke detectors in the voids.

c) Does having an

endothermic but still combustible material like
celotex packed around electric cables bother you?

Not if adiqately derated. I would not personally let PVC cables come
into contact with the expanded material incase there's any long term
degredation, not that I know of any. Where I've used cable near
Kingspan, I put it in PVC conduit, but that was more for ease of
rethreading cables if I wanted to chance the wiring plan.

Fortunately, electrics are my strong point, and all the buried cables will
be lighting. The rest will go on cable trays on the surface. The loft void
is continuous around the permimeter, which is a dream for routing cables
and pipes.

Many thanks

Timbo

--