Larry Jaques

On 24 Mar 2005 14:34:33 -0800, the inscrutable "MVG"
spake:

Very informative... thanks!

I -think- you're talkking to me, but you don't quote so I don't know.

The diluted paint when spread with a brush is still shiny. I think the
trouble is in fact the paint being dried out in midair as it strikes
the surface giving it a sandpapery texture which diffuses light, spoils
the gloss. I'll try spraying with lower pressure and closer to the
work, and perhaps a top water-based urethane finish.

Good on the former, nix on the latter. AFAIC, poly is unnecessary in
90% of applications and is far too often misapplied, resulting in an
even sh*ttier looking finish.

But ask Sherman-Williams BEFORE you do anything else. Take a sample to
their paint store if you can and verify dry spray, which is what it
sounds like. Verify that your needle is the right size for latex
paint. If it's too small, you'll need more pressure to get it to spray
and end up with dry spray. hint

BTW, I'm by no means an expert on spraying, though I watched a lot of
it for 6 years while wrenching at a body shop. (The painter had the
fridge in his area so I was over there a lot. I'm just learning the
physical art of spraying myself.

And I will check out that book.

Look for both of his books.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications