Joe

Try getting some abrasive nylon... Sold by McMaster Carr relatively cheap
and delivered to your door...

But buy some soap first as the black residue that comes off aluminum when
using this product is about as bad as graphite.

Start with course and work your way down until you get the desired finish.

Joe in Northern, NJ
V#8013 '86 VN750

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8
http://www.youthelate.com

Young Life? eMail me!

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

"John Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have some .625" diameter aluminum bar stock that I need to do some kind
of
surface finish/treatment to.

The stock has fine longitudinal striations (I'm guessing from being
extruded) that I would like to eliminate or at least reduce. I don't need
superfine or polished finish- I just want to get rid of the "unfinished"
look. A fine, brushed finish would be perfectly acceptable.

Now, here's the problem. I only have access to typical homeowner tools and
no way to secure the stock in a fixture other than my own hands. I have a
big vise but can't use it because the jaws will mar the stock. I do have a
good bench grinder but I think it'll be way too aggressive. I also have a
belt sander and a random orbit finishing sander that might work. What do
you
think? And what type of abrasive /grits should I look for?

Thanks!