Larry Jaques

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:26:05 -0600, the inscrutable Rex B
spake:

I'll fix it myself, and likely upgrade whatever broke

You'd make your own gears, the common replacement part when you forget
to lock the head to the gibs?

R8 Spindle. As far as I've determined the machines are absolutely
identical from any vendor save for spindle taper. MicroMark's version
has true inch-dials, at $110 more $.

Who needs 'em when you can add DROs?

Agreed. I wish MicroMark would offer a DRO coonversion like they did for
the minilathe. It had LCDs instead of degreed dials.

LMS has DRO kits for "only" an arm and half a leg. (twice the purchase
price) but you can find the same imports a lot cheaper on Ebay, etc.

I normally don't, either, but on something which eats gears for lunch,
I thought it might be a good deal. $12 for several sets of $38 gears,
as necessary?

Granted, but the diff is $112.

Yeah, you did get a deal on that machine.

Besides, LMS sells the gears separately for $5 - $7 each.
The complete spare gears set is $30.

Ah!

As for the Z-axis, you can get max travel out of
any of them by going to the gas spring from LMS.

Got a URL?

I can't find it on www.LittleMachineShop.com, but I have seen it in
their printed catalog. It's also referred to on several of the
enthusiast sites. Apparently the early models used the gas support,
later ones use the spring. You just order the parts for the early ones.

Oh, _that_ LMS.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications