Peter Johnson

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:09:14 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

I have often daydreamed about going to Haynes with some of their mistakes
and confronting them.

Going on 20 years ago I had a Metro - the rear screen washer pump
packed up. The pump was attached to the washer bottle which was of
some depth. I decided I could do it and got a new pump but couldn't
see how to get the old one out. Off to Halfords and bought the Haynes
manual, all nicely shrink-wrapped so I couldn't see in advance if it
told me how to do the job. Back home, off with the shrink wrap and
find the page that dealt with the rear screen washer pump. 'Changing
the rear screen washer pump is easily done. The details depends on the
model of pump fitted.'! I did write to Haynes and explain that this
wasn't very helpful and did get a reply. Notwithstanding the lack of
support from the Haynes manual I did manage to change the pump but
can't remember how I did it at this distance in time.