Patrick Bitton

Brian,

I am a carpenter and was doing the exact same thing at Montreal's City Hall.
We were building a new kitchen for the blue collar works and commercial code
states that metal studs are to be used because of fire code. So here is what
I did. Metal studs are in a shape of a U and always face the same direction.
Where you plan to put your cabinets, you need to add a piece of stud about
12" long in the opposite direction. So that the 12" stud will face the 8'
stud(the U's will face eachother). Since the studs are 16" on center...you
can cut a piece of 3/4" plywood 12"x15-1/2". Use 3/4" drywll screws. Do not
use the self-tapping kind(silver). They will just burn the wood and will
spin. But since you are turning a semi to an RV...if it will be on the road,
I would use 2"x6" pine instead of plywood between the studs. It's cheap and
it will hold your cabinets without a glitch.

Good luck,

Patrick

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Teamcasa" writes:

Brian, Very interesting project. For RV use, I would consider using
smaller
studs, say 2" x 2". And where loads exist for cabinets and fixtures, I

2x2s would probably work as that is what wood framed RVs are generally
built from. The only reason for thicker studs would be for insulation.
They make special electrical boxes for RVs that fit in a 2x2 wall.

would inlay some plywood or 1" x 4"s for securing the cabinets.
All screws eventually work loose in RVs. I would also consider not using
drywall behind the cabinets and use 1/4" plywood instead. This way you
will

Someone else mentioned drywall. I didn't mention drywall and have plans
to use it. 1/4" plywood covered with something is what I am planning to
use. I'm not sure if 1/4" plywood will really hold up cabinets.

Brian Elfert