Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message
On 24 Mar 2005 15:31:50 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) wrote:

You're welcome to pay a visit any time you'd like----and I'd gladly

spend a
day or two with you showing you how I go about grinding toolbits.

I'd better bring a big pile of toolbits for practice though!
Lets see, I got about 90 1/4 inch Rex AAA. Hate to mutulate them so we
better butcher the box of 100 1/4 inch chinese import toolbits first.
I will save the mo-max and tantung for the final exam.

What size toolbit is the easiest to grind? I find it 1/4 inch the easiest
to grind but not nearly as useful at 5/16. 3/8 works ok on my rockwell
lathe but I find they take a lot longer to grind than a 1/4.

chuck

Rough em out on a belt sander. It goes pretty quick

Gunner

Yep, just don't do the finish grind there. Because a belt tends to rumple
at the point of contact, the cutting edge will be rounded----often enough
that it won't cut. Belts also restrict you as to tool configuration.

Harold