Harold and Susan Vordos

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

You're welcome to pay a visit any time you'd like----and I'd gladly spend

day or two with you showing you how I go about grinding toolbits.

I'd better bring a big pile of toolbits for practice though!
Lets see, I got about 90 1/4 inch Rex AAA. Hate to mutulate them so we
better butcher the box of 100 1/4 inch chinese import toolbits first.
I will save the mo-max and tantung for the final exam.

What size toolbit is the easiest to grind? I find it 1/4 inch the easiest
to grind but not nearly as useful at 5/16. 3/8 works ok on my rockwell
lathe but I find they take a lot longer to grind than a 1/4.

chuck

Because I rely on the toolbit itself to act as a guide (remember, I *do not*
use a tool rest), the larger sizes grind better for me. Mind you, I stop
at 1/2" bits. My lathe won't accommodate anything taller. The vast
majority of my toolbits are either 3/8" or 1/2". For grooving tools, I
tend to favor 3/8". As you suggest, the smaller ones grind a lot faster,
but are far less useful, and due to the smaller area in contact with the
wheel, are more difficult to grind properly. You can control size much
easier when you grind large areas.

Harold