JW

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:16:21 GMT "Mark & Mary Ann Weiss"
wrote in Message id:
et:

This sounds like a poor connection with perhaps as few as one pin
connection.

My question is, on this 200-pin SODIMM socket, which pin carries the

"chip
present" signal to the system mainboard?

There's no "chip present, per se.

A datasheet is worth a thousand words:

http://download.micron.com/pdf/datas..._32_64x64HG.pd

My guesses? Pins 195, 197, 198, 199, 200. Used for SPD functions during a
power up.

Thanks for the data sheet. I too happened across a similar sheet for a
different module, but same pinouts. These are the pins I suspected, but I
needed confirmation that they are indeed used only at boot time.

The symptom is a failure to detect both modules, unless someone presses on
the #1 module at POST/Boot time. Once past POST, the module can be let go
of, and the system will continue to run and use the RAM. Whatever it is,
it's only needed during POST and then not used, hence the broken connection
does not matter after that.

Like I said, those would be the most likely candidates, they're only used
at power up to set memory timing. Any other pins would cause memory
failures/crashes.