Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

By the time I was in the shop, carbon tet was not being used. They

used
1,1,1, trichloroethane (Chlorothene) instead. It's the same stuff that
used to be found in Tap Magic and other brands of ferrous tapping

solutions,
as you likely know.

Yeah, I still have a can of it.

Using it also is a good way to kill yourself.

That's a little extreme if you're talking about Chlorothene. No one

died,
and as far as I know, no one lost their health. Well over 100

machinists
worked at the facility. I fully agree with carbon tet.

I was talking about carbon tetrachloride. When I was a kid we bought it at
the pharmacy, as a component for our homemade dry-fly dope (carbon tet,

and
paraffin wax dissolved in it until no more will dissolve). I wonder how

much
of it went up my snoot over the years.

Wow! My exposure to tet was very limited. Not having tied flies, I'm not
sure I understand, but I get the idea you painted it on, then allowed it to
dry. Makes sense. You're lucky you worked on small objects, where
exposure was minimal.

I landed on an interesting article when checking on solvents. I've included
a link.
http://www.lakehurst.navy.mil/p2/ser...rvlet?wDID=234

Take note of 2.0, where discussion revolves around Chlorothene affecting the
ozone layer. Could it be that is the chief reason it has been removed from
most products?

According to the 9th edition Merck Index, 1,1,1-trichloroethane is
irritating to eyes, mucous membranes and, in high concentrations, narcotic.
There is no mention of other problems. Maybe I'll sleep better tonight.
I've not taken my exposure lightly, but worrying about it would serve no
good purpose.

Harold