DaveM

The fine attenuator control should not affect the oscillator frequency. If
it does, then you possibly have a power supply regulation/filtering problem.
Or, possibly an attempted modification or repair of the unit that has
changed the circuit.

The power supply components to suspect a
C31, C32 (220uF each)
D6 (10V/1W Zener)
R35 (68 ohms)
R36 (47 ohms)
D4, D5 1N4005

Do you have a manual for the unit? If not, I can email a PDF copy to you
( about 4.5 Mb). It will save you lots of time if you have any
troubleshooting abilities.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

"Mike" wrote in message
Kim,
I will check the serial numbers etc on my unit and let you know what
it is -
I was able to get the 400khz working (it turned out that Q9 was bad) -
My next problem though is the "Fine attenuator"... when checking the
signal, adjusting this seems to shift the freq, but I don't think its
adding more attenuation. So, more troubleshooting to do!
I'll keep you posted.
Mike

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:55:11 -0500, Kim Clay
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:44:06 -0800, Mike wrote:

Kim, thanks for your detailed info! I will start taking a closer look
at those PS resistors you mention, and the electrolytics (I didn't see
any obvious signs of leakage them , but it probably wouldn't hurt to
replace them anyway). Her is a good site with more info on alignment,
mods etc:
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~bburke4632/e-200D.htm

Mine seems to be working okay now (after replacing Q3) using the CW
setting.

Thanks for the link. He has some good info...

From your other post you mentioned "Not sure the 400hz tone is working
when setting the switch to that setting...". Perhaps a slight tweak of
R42 (1K pot) will bring it to life as that worked with my unit.

I was studying his 1 KHz mod pic at
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~bburke4632/oscillator.jpg
& noticed R43, 620R in the pic. That is the correct value per the
schematic.
My unit has a 470R installed in that location. A close look at "R43" &
"620" on the schematic shows it to be noticeably different lettering
than the others. Its a small change I may make at some time.

Further studying the pics at this site reveals two different units are
pictured in the modifications.
The Changing the Modulation Frequency to 1KHz
Disassembly Instructions
E-200D Alignment Procedure
pages all appear to use the same unit, s/n "27-05827"

The Adding an Output for a Frequency Counter
page uses a later unit with s/n "27-13815"

My unit has s/n "27-01744", indicating a very early unit. Meter has a
date code "7404" on a sliver tag. The two units shown on the mods pages
have a date code stenciled on the meter (that I can't read).
It seems that by s/n "27-05827" (the unit pictured on the 1 KHz mod
page) they were using a new PCB with white stenciling instead of black
on my earlier model.
They must have also changed the pcb layout in the 1MHz & 100KHz area
because the "Xtal Calibrator" switch has Blue & Gray wires where mine
has resistors going to a add-on terminal strip & then on to the PCB with
Blue & Gray wires.

Also my line bypass caps are 10nF where the schematic shows 1nF. Both
units pictured have much smaller size cap at these locations.

Most of this data is just for archive use on Google. I had just
finished restoring my unit when I found your original post. Cover/case
is not even installed yet.

Kim