Bill Rubenstein

And since you brought up the subject -- have you looked at the Jet live
tail center?

Bill

Derek Hartzell wrote:
Ron,

Just curious, but does your Jet have a banjo/toolrest holder with a shaft
cut with a keyway. I saw they had this about 1-2 years ago and sent an
email and asked Oneway about it because they have a US patent on their banjo
that I believe would be infringed by the Jet. They said they were looking
into legal action. The action was like the Oneway, which tightens the banjo
down without bending the shaft down.

Derek

"Ron Kolakowski" wrote in message
I bought one a couple of months ago, after a lot of research, and have been
extremely satisfied. Thought long and hard about a Powermatic 3520, but
ended up going with the Jet. The extra swing would be "nice", but not used
often enough to justify the addional cost. Also. looking at the 2
side-by-side, it's pretty apparent that the 1642 is a downsized 3520. My
previous lathe was a Jet 1236, and met all my expectations, so I had no
qualms about another Jet.

While the advantages of the 3520 are pretty obvious (swing, weight,
Powermatic brand), there are also a couple of possible shortcomings vs the
Jet 1642. The Powermatic does not have a hollow tailstock. so it can't be
used as easily with a long boring bit for lamps, etc. Also, indexing is
accomplished with a reportedly cumbersome add-on. making some tasks more
difficult. Neither of these is a major issue, but did factor into my
decision.

Ron