On 23 Mar 2005 15:09:35 -0800, "Jud Turner" wrote:

Anyone know if you can burn out an alumilite master when doing sand
casting? I know you can burn out foam/stryofoam, but how about
alumilite? (www.alumilite.com)

A customer has an alumilite gerbil character that he wants done in
metal, and it'll be a lot cheaper for him if I can just use (and
destroy) his original alumilite gerbil rather than carve a whole new
one.

thanks for any info...

Jud

www.judturner.com
www.customhoodornaments.com

No.
Lost foam (aka: expendable pattern casting) only works because there
is so little plastic per unit volume, that it is able to quicky
vaporize in advance of the molten metal, And it produces so little gas
that it it is able to be vented through the sand.

A solid plastic piece will just blow metal in your face.

I could probably be burned out in an investment or ceramic shell
casting.

Other wise. Figure out a parting line and make a green sand mold.

Paul K. Dickman